Car and Van Leasing Wear & Tear Guide
What this guide will include
Our wear and tear guide explains the fair wear and tear process for lease vehicles at the end of their contract and our tips on how to avoid any penalties at the end of your lease. If there are any questions that aren’t covered within this guide, please do not hesitate to give our friendly team a call on 0800 096 6488.
Please note that the information on this page is a guide only.
What is Fair Wear and Tear?
Fair wear and tear is the natural deterioration of a vehicle over its life or your leasing contract in this case. Fair wear and tear does not include accidental, intentional or negligent damage.
What is deemed as acceptable Fair Wear and Tear?
Wheels and Tyres
- All tyres including the spare tyre (if you have one) must have more than the legal tread depth of 1.6mm.
- Any damage to any alloy or steel wheels must be fixed including any damage from kerbs.
- All tyre dust caps and locking wheels nuts must be collected along with the vehicle and in working order.
- Spare tyre must be legal and with the vehicle.
Body and Paintwork
- Dents, if any, should be under 15mm and there must not be more than 2 dents per panel except for the roof where no dents are acceptable.
- There must be no rust on the vehicle or visible corrosion.
- All branding, labels or logo’s must be removed from the vehicle prior to collection ensuring that the paint surface beneath is not broken or damaged.
- Scratches and light abrasions of up to 25mm are acceptable but these must not be deep enough to show primer or the underneath metal of the vehicle.
- If a tow bar is fitted to the vehicle it must also not have any rust or corrosion and must be fully functional along with a suitable ball cover.
- If the vehicle is a convertible or cabriolet then the roof must not have any rips or blemishes and must operate correctly.
Windscreen, Windows and Lights
- Any damage to the lights that prohibit them from working correctly must be repaired.
- There must be no chips, holes or cracks in the windscreen. Light scratches are acceptable as long as they do not impair the drivers view (within 15cm of steering wheel at eye level).
- Windscreen wipers must be in working condition and be attached properly.
- Washer fluid must be at a sufficient level.
- If there is a panoramic on the vehicle there must be no chips, holes or cracks.
- Wing mirrors must be secure and not damaged in anyway. If electrically folding, they must function as necessary.
- The vehicle must have no warning lights on the dashboard showing including any lights relating to a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), tyre pressures or oil.
- The vehicle must be able to pass a current MOT. Although an MOT isn’t required this is a basis to assess the vehicle, if you feel as though something may be of concern it would be best to get this fixed.
- There must be sufficient oil and coolant and no damage caused due to anything as a lack of any of these substances throughout the contract of the vehicle.
- The brake discs or drums must not have been worn down to the extent that they are causing any metal to metal contact.
- There must be no substantial damage to the underside of the vehicle.
- We advise that you have the vehicle professionally valeted before collection.
- There must be no damage to the upholstery of the vehicle including any rips, burn marks and ensure there are no bad odours.
- Light scratches on the inside sills of the doors is acceptable but nothing that is clearly intentional.
- Ensure all fittings and accessories such as parcel shelves, boot liners and rear-view mirrors etc. that arrived with the vehicle also leave with it.
Equipment and Personal Items
- Ensure that all personal items are removed from the vehicle.
- Remove any modifications you may have made to the interior of the vehicle such as semi-permanent mobile phone holders or dash cams. If this damages the dashboard for example this should be fixed as best as possible.
- Remove any personal data saved in any of the vehicles systems such as a home address or any accounts you may be signed in to.
If your vehicle lease is coming to an end and you have any queries visit our end of lease guide.
If you have any further questions call the team on 0800 096 6488 and we will be able to assist.